Random Thoughts

2005-11-27

Telstra

Telstra, Australia's biggest ISP, does not seem to be interested in preventing crime.

To elaborate, I sometimes use the e-mail address ner AT nickrenton.com. This gets redirected to my main address, which is nrenton AT bigpond.net.au.

One feature of ner AT nickrenton.com is that it also works for any other name preceding the AT nickrenton.com

Some time ago a spamster started sending out a large number of spam messages using forged sender addresses ending in my domain AT nickrenton.com - with the result that I have now received about 29,000 bounced messages. While I can filter these out and get them deleted from the server this does not solve what appears to be an ongoing problem.

I sent Telstra a sample of the e-mails showing all headers and asked Telstra to take steps to have the perpetrator caught and prosecuted for this criminal activity.

Telstra refused even to investigate, despite the fact that this wasteful use of the Telstra broadband must be costing the company money. Furthermore, it seems unlikely that I am the only user so affected.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home